On his blog site ConvergeUSA Gary Rohrmayer shares these helpful insights. Click at the bottom of this post to read the whole article.
Eight insights that will guide you through a spiritual fast.
1. Fast SENSIBLY. Don’t feel that you must fast many days to be effective. Many biblical fasts were “until evening’ (Judges 20:16; II Samuel 3:35; Acts 10:30).
2. Fast SENSITIVELY. When Israel fasted before a crucial battle, the Bible says they “inquired of the Lord.” (Judges 20:23; I Samuel 23) When we fast we should take special time to hear God speak. (13:1-2)
3. Fast SYSTEMATICALLY. When Jesus taught His disciples about fasting, He began with the words “when you fast” (Matthew 6:16). He was suggesting that believers should have regular times of fasting, whether one day a week or a portion of a day each week.
4. Fast SACRIFICIALLY. If we normally do not eat breakfast it is not really a sacrifice to fast breakfast. A true fast must be a sacrifice. David said, “My knees give way from fasting; my body is thin and gaunt” (Psalm 109:24). True fasting must have an humbling effect on us (Ps 35:13).
5. Fast SPECIFICALLY. God said to Israel, “Is not this the fast that I have chosen? (Isaiah 58:6). We must ask God to direct us in the focus of our fasting.